Create Your Own 3-Ingredient Personalized Facial Moisturizer
The facial skin care section of the drug or beauty store can be overwhelming. So many options! And if you have skin issues, it can be even harder to find a product that works.
I personally don’t use a moisturizer, but my husband does, and most of the time when he runs the ingredients by me (even from Whole Foods or health food stores), I tell him not to buy it because of the carcinogens in it.
The good news? It’s easy to make your own facial moisturizer and customize it to address whatever is going on with your skin right now.
The better news? It’s all-natural and only 3 ingredients!
STEP 1: Find a container for your moisturizer. You might be want to go small so you can test out different combinations to see what works best for you–or just so you can switch it up as winter dry skins gets better or breakouts come and go. A 1-ounce glass bottle with dropper lid works well.
STEP 2: Start creating your personalized recipe. Choose one of each:
- Ingredient #1: Choose a Base Oil. Use this to fill 2/3 of the container. There are plenty of great choices. Here are a few popular oils to start with:
- Argan oil (great for dry, aging, oily, normal, or acne-prone skin)
- Apricot kernel oil (great for any skin type, but especially good for normal, dry, and aging skin)
- Hemp seed oil (great for any skin type, also very light)
- Ingredient #2: Bonus Nourishing Oil. Use this to fill the rest of the bottle almost all the way to the top.
You may already have a favorite oil that you know works well for you, but if not, there are lots to try. Here are some good ones to start with to help with common skin issues:
- Tamanu oil (great for acneic or oily skin, or skin with scars)
- Rosehip seed oil (incredibly regenerating, this oil is known for it’s firming and anti-aging abilities – it’s good for dry, aging, and normal skin)
- Neem oil (very antimicrobial and healing, neem oil is a stellar choice for acne and oily skin)
- Ingredient #3: 4-7 drops of an essential oil. Again, options are ample to choose from. Do a little research online to find the right one for you, or try one of these to start:
- Lavender (acne, oily, or even dry skin – lavender is healing, but a little, tiny bit goes a long way)
- Peppermint (like lavender, peppermint is great for oily and acneic skin, and like lavender don’t use much! It’s very astringent, but it might also tingle your skin right off its bones)
- Rose geranium (another great, all-around healing essential oil – this is especially good for dry, sensitive, aging, and normal skin)
- Lemongrass (brightening and toning, this is a great oil for normal, oily, or acneic skin)
STEP 3: After you’ve added your ingredients, put the cap on and shake. Now it’s ready to use!
Will last 8-12 months if stored in a cool, dark place out of direct sunlight.
Note: Only for use on clean skin.
Leave a Comment