If a wholesome, natural, vegan, no-bake dessert sounds like a treat right now, try this recipe to calm your sweet tooth.
Dates are rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants and the essential minerals potassium and magnesium, and the raw almonds contribute vitamins, minerals and healthy fats to your diet. This yummy square packs a punch!
- 1.5 cups whole raw almonds
- 1.5 cups regular oats
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 25 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped (about 2.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- Line an 8×8 square pan with two pieces of parchment paper going opposite ways. In a food processor, process the almond, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms. Now add in the dates and process until crumbly again. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky. You can add a tiny bit more oil if the dough is too dry. Remove from processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later, and press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Grab your pitted and roughly chopped dates and water and process in the food processor until a paste forms. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl often. You can add a tiny bit more water if needed, but you want the paste quite thick. Scoop out the date mixture onto the crust and gently spread with the back of a wet spatula until even.
- Sprinkle on the 3/4 cup of mixture you set aside and gently press down with fingers. Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.